Thursday, November 20, 2014

Back to basics




In recent weeks I have utilized this blog as part of an initiative to let everyone know what is going on at the theater, and keep as many people connected to us as possible.  I will do some more of that later on, but first I ask that you please indulge me a few moments of your time for some personal introspection, reflection, and soul maintenance.  

Sometimes, as an adult, it becomes too easy to get wrapped up in our daily minutiae.  We go to work, do our jobs, pay our bills, take care of our kids, and along the way we lose sight of the reason we do all of these things…quite simply…to live life to its fullest.  As good capitalists, we get so distracted by the process of daily living and earning that living wage, that we wake up one day realizing that we’ve been running in place for five years, or our kids are getting ready for college, or that we have forgotten to utilize the wealth we’ve acquired for its original purpose…to live.  

As in all things, art imitates life.  

Sometimes, once we get into the business of running a theater we can become so focused on the little things: the advertising, the equipment, the building, the season, plus the all-important finances, we sometimes forget that we truly love what we do.  We love bringing art to life on the stage.  We love all of the people with whom we do it, and more importantly we love the people FOR WHOM we do it.   

As a mature, formally trained actor, I am personally guilty of this.  I can become so absorbed with subtext, motivation, and character development, that I can easily forget the whole reason I chose to spend my life this way in the first place…to have fun, to make fun, and to bring that fun to others.  

 Tuesday evening, I had the pleasure of attending a rehearsal for our next production, A Christmas Story: The Musical.  Our choreographer, Cynthia Brandreth was holding a dance rehearsal.  All of the kids involved in the number, both chorus and principals, were having an absolute blast.  There was laughing, giggling, camaraderie, and legitimate learning going on as they watched Cindy and learned their choreography.  Their joyous, reckless abandon on stage and their lack of self-consciousness made me proud.  Their complete trust in themselves, each other, and in Cindy made my heart swell for the future of theatre in our area.  This is where the love of theatre is born.  

This is why we do what we do.  

As is the case with all things worth knowing in this world, it took the perspective of children to remind me of that.  

As we head into the Thanksgiving Holiday next week, I only ask that you distract yourself from the daily grind and remind yourself of what really matters.  Turn off the cell phone and tablet, and connect with another live human being for a while.  Be thankful for the opportunity not only to live, but to experience life…there is a significant distinction between the two.  

Thank you Cindy, and thank you to all of the kids of Christmas Story, for reminding me why I love theatre, and more specifically…THIS theater, so much.  Thank you for reminding me to stop and pay attention to the more important things once in a while. 

I am so very grateful, thankful, honored, and humbled to be a part of the storied history of The Music Box Dinner Playhouse.

...

Which now brings me to the less sappy, but just as joyous portion of this post…A Christmas Story: The Musical is selling fabulously!!!! 







As of noon yesterday, 2 DATES ARE ALREADY SOLD OUT… 4 OTHERS ARE NEARLY SOLD OUT (they may even be sold out by now) …and 6 others are nearing capacity!!!

If you intend on seeing this wonderful show, please make your reservations as soon as possible…right now, if you can.  Because, once these tickets are gone, they’re gone.  Unfortunately, we cannot extend this show due to its being pressed up against the holidays, and our cast and crew need to spend time with their families too.  (Please see previous statement, about paying attention to what’s important.) 

Thank you for your time and indulgence in these musings.  I hope each and every one of you find someone and give them a hug today!

Keep doing IMPORTANT things!

…and save me seat at the theater, (you might need to...I haven't made reservations for myself yet!)

~SCW

No comments:

Post a Comment